Balance Center for Physical Therapy
At Austin ENT Clinic’s Balance Center for Physical Therapy, our physical therapist specializes in vestibular and balance rehabilitation – an exercise-based program created to improve balance and reduce dizziness-related problems. Haylee Farrar, PT, DPT, will develop an individualized treatment plan to improve your ability to function in activities of everyday living, reduce your risk for falling, and, ultimately, improve your quality of life.
The Vestibular System
The primary role of the vestibular system is to tell the brain where the head is in space. Quite simply, the vestibular system is your internal reference telling the brain how your head is oriented - up, down, tilted, etc.
People with vestibular or inner ear disorders often experience problems with balance or movement-related dizziness.
Symptoms may include:
- Vertigo – Feeling a spinning or whirling sensation
- Dysequilibrium – Feeling tilting, swaying, off-balance, or unsteady
- Light-headedness/wooziness – Feeling like you may pass out or feeling confused
- Motion sickness – Feeling queasy or sick to your stomach
- Behavioral – Feeling anxious or panicked
These symptoms affect a person’s ability to change positions (such as lying down and getting up from a chair) or move about without imbalance and vertigo. Loss of balance and dizziness can be debilitating and contribute to a diminished quality of life.
If you have any of the following conditions, you may benefit from vestibular rehabilitation:
- BPPV and vestibular hypofunction
- Post-concussion and TBI
- Fear of falling and fall-risk seniors
- Musculoskeletal balance disorder (MSBD™)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Migraine-associated dizziness (MAD)
- Neck-related dizziness and vertigo
Whatever problem brings you to the Balance Center for Physical Therapy, our therapist can help reduce your symptoms and restore your balance and mobility, often without surgery or prescription medications.
To find out if you are a candidate for balance and vestibular rehabilitation, call Austin ENT Clinic at 1-800-876-EARS (3277) for an appointment with one of our board-certified specialists, or you can use our online form to request an appointment. Our Balance Center for Physical Therapy is conveniently located in Suite 515 of our Central Austin location.